Monday, October 1, 2012

Stepping up to the plate

It's been exactly 2 months since we left our home in Boston and crossed the Atlantic.  Just today we emptied the very last box.  We've come a long way from living out of the 6 suitcases we brought with us.  Although things are now somewhat comfortable in our new house it isn't really guest ready.  None of the artwork that we brought has been hung and there were a whole bunch of "we'll get to it later" sort of things.  Later has turned into now - well Wednesday to be more precise.

Why Wednesday? It's my mother in law's birthday and I have offered to host a small lunch at our place.  Although it's not a huge gathering, it's definitely a time to really pull it together.  I thought that offering to host would really force us to finish some those final touches to get the place really looking nice.  After a while, you get sort of comfortable with the stack of books sitting in the corner that need to be put away or moving the growing pile of toys in the living room back into the playroom.  Besides, I am looking forward to have those finishing touches done because it'll feel a little more like home.  So bring on the guests!

It will be Jean's mother along with her brother and his wife (so Jean's aunt and uncle).  No, not a huge crowd but there still is a little pressure. Not only is it impressing the mother in law but its also impressing extended family, in front of the mother in law.  That raises the stakes just a bit.  Wait - did I mention that I offered to cook everything too?   Yup, that's right.  So now the house needs to be in order and a full menu cooked.  In France entertaining is taken seriously.  You don't just throw something together.  This "lunch" will likely be a 3 to 4 hour event.  And trust me, these are ladies that can cook.  I have been to multiple dinners that they have thrown with 7+ courses, fine china and impeccable place settings (with like a million forks and spoons all over the place!)  While I'm not planning (or expected) to do anything like that, I need to give this my best effort.

So, on the menu we have:

Sweet potato and butternut squash soup
Brolied salmon on a bed of Puy lentils
Braised leeks in a mustard sauce
Orange glazed carrots with shallots
Lemon scented linguini

That's not including the appetizers though I was thinking of melon wrapped in prosciutto and maybe some marinated olives.  And Jean can take care of the wines - sooooo not ready to take that one on.  When Jean's aunt asked what she could bring, I proposed she take care of the dessert.  No need to completely kill myself, right?

Fingers crossed that everything turns out all right AND the kids behave.  Pics and more updates to follow... 

Wish us luck!






No comments:

Post a Comment