Saturday, July 6, 2013

Flamenco with a French touch

Not long after I arrived, I decided that it would be a good idea to find some sort of ongoing activity to help make France feel more like home.  I have always wanted to learn Flamenco dancing so I signed up for a weekly class that started last September.  I mean what better place to learn Flamenco than here in France where it all originated!  (Okay - I might be one country off but at least I'm on the right continent!)  Anyway, it turns out that its a little harder than I was thinking.  I thought that my dancing skills acquired during my Latin American travels would work in my favor. Unfortunately, a decent merengue and passing salsa moves wouldn't help me much after all.

Then, a couple months in, I hear about the big show in June where we will be dancing - on a stage, in front of people.  As it is, I am having trouble getting the moves down and with the class conducted all in French (I mean who would have thought) I feel like I've gotten myself in over my head.  There were a more than a couple nights when I arrived home and on the verge of tears told Jean I was done.  I just wasn't getting it.  But I stuck in there.  I practiced for hours on end at home (which served the dual purpose of getting the moves down as well as making Audrey and Thomas chuckle).

The day of the show arrived and I actually felt ready.  While I cannot brag about being the most graceful of dancers, I had the steps down.  Walking off that stage I felt so incredibly proud of what I had achieved. I remember thinking that this experience mirrors the greater overall challenge of adapting to life in France.  With hard work and perseverance, I can pull this off too.

Now if someone can just explain to me why I keep getting strange looks running errands in my flamenco skirt and shoes...










1 comment: