Monday, July 15, 2013

A shot in the dark

We are now just a few weeks shy of our one year anniversary in France.  It's hard to believe how fast it has gone by!  It also means that we are at the end of many "firsts" (at least calendar wise).  One last one though - my first July 14th in France.  Even though Jean and I would frequently come in the summer on vacation, I had never been here for "Bastille Day".  Given its proximity to the Forth of July, I wonder if many Americans living in France appreciate the dates being so close together to sort of replace what they are missing from home.

So...my impression of this "first"?  A bit quieter than its US counterpart.  No complaints here though.  I decided to treat Audrey to her first fireworks display (despite the fact that it didn't start until 11pm!).  Cotton candy ("barbe à papa" in French) gave her a nice sugar rush that literally had her running in circles for a good half hour before the fireworks began.  And then the show started...she was enamored!  The most incredible thing she has seen in her three and a half years.  Okay, that's what I thought her reaction would be.  What really happened?  She sat on my lap with her hands over her ears for the entire 20 minutes, paralyzed with fear.  Half way through, on the verge of tears, she says she's done and wants to go home. I was able to get her to stay through the rest but it was hard to enjoy it knowing that she was scared.  Maybe firsts aren't all they're cracked up to be.  I guess we'll stick around for another year to give it a second shot...



 

No comments:

Post a Comment