Wednesday, December 25, 2013

I'll be home for Christmas...

Strasbourg is a truly magical place to be around Christmas.  The proclaimed "Capitale de Noel", Strasbourg boasts the oldest Christmas market (Christkindelsmärik) in the world dating back to 1570.  The entire month of December the whole city is impeccably decorated in lights and an evening stroll down the small winding streets can really leave an impression on you.



So not my picture but its had to really capture it all from the ground.  Credit given to www.travelfreak.com
So yes, I am incredibly spoiled to be able to spend Christmas with the kids in such a wonderful place. However, growing up in a large family in the snowy Midwest can be pretty awesome too as far as Christmases go. So I decided to spend the 25th here with Jean's family and head back to the States the day after.  Only problem is that Jean has used up his vacation time for the year and can't make it back with us. While this came as a bit of a blow, I knew I needed to go home, even if it meant another solo flying adventure with a preschooler and a toddler (see "Have Kids, Will Travel" for disastrous details...)  So without much hesitation, I decided that the pain and anguish of another trans-Atlantic flight with the kids is well worth spending the holidays with my family.

Christmas was always so magical to me as a child.  Even though my mom always said she dreaded it (having 8 kids may have that effect on a person) she had a way of making Christmas incredibly special for us and these are undoubtedly some of the most wonderful childhood memories I have. Its hard to imagine not sharing some of these memories with my own children.  Besides, word is its a white Christmas in Cleveland...

It'll be a long, tiring trip but nothing will keep us away! Wish me luck!









No comments:

Post a Comment