Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Getting back in the saddle...

So, the let-lag for myself and the kids lasted about 4 days.  Unfortunately right after we normalized our sleeping schedules, I get hit with a nasty case of bronchitis.  Ugh...the last weeks have been absolutely miserable!  Not leaving the house on more than a handful of occasions and feeling horrible haven't made the transition back easy at all.

It's really sad but I felt like I had lost all of my French when I arrived home after just 2 weeks in the states.  I remember quickly dodging the mail woman when I saw her coming on her bike because I was convinced I wouldn't even be able to utter a decent greeting.  I kind of had to suck it up though and have had more conversations with French doctors in the past 2 weeks with anyone else.  I guess when you are desperate to feel better, your language skills improve dramatically.

Truthfully, there was a point when I was starting to lose sight of our the future of our life here in France.  There were days that I couldn't imagine ever feeling better and taking care of two sick kids had me totally consumed.  Two and half weeks later and things are finally improving.  Being in a better physical state has helped to put me back on track.  Big things are happening this week and next!  I just got the notice in the mail that I can FINALLY pick up my "titre de sejour" (sort of the equivalent of a green card).  This is HUGE since we've been waiting on this for a while now.  It solidifies my legal status and removes me from a sort of immigration "purgatory".

Next week I also spend an afternoon in Paris at a breastfeeding workshop.  Its nothing huge but it marks my journey to begin my own private practice as a Lactation Consultant here in France.  The woman who runs these workshops is a Lactation Consultant in Paris and I am hoping to slowly acquire enough information to be able to set up a similar practice in Strasbourg.  This is all incredibly exciting for me and I am hopeful that with such a lofty goal, this will keep me optimistic about the future.  Much more about this to come...







No comments:

Post a Comment