Saturday, November 24, 2012

Tourism 101

It's hard to believe we've been here for almost 4 months.  In a way it seems like much longer and in others it feels like we just arrived. I feel like I have just started to get my bearings around the town which has been helpful in making me feel at home. However, over the last week, I have taken one massive step in my acclimation to life in France.

One week ago, we welcomed our very first house guest - my little sister Stefanie.  Having her here has caused an huge transformation for me since I have now gone from tourist to tour guide. We've shown her some of the best Alsace has to offer - medieval towns, scenic villages in the heart of wine country, castles, cathedrals and even a tour of a sauerkraut factory (yah, that last one wasn't as glamorous as I thought).

I also figured a trip to France for her wouldn't be complete without a stop in Paris.  So earlier this week Stef and I spent a couple days in the city of lights. I was a bit worried since it would just be her and myself and I'd be the one who'd have to navigate the city.  I am proud to say that we didn't get lost once and saw an incredible amount of sights in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

In the course of 36 hours, we:

climbed the Eiffel Tower
checked out the gargoyles of Notre Dame
visted Sacre Coeur and wandered around the streets of Montmatre
enjoyed a scenic boat ride of the Seine river
took and evening stroll down the Champs-Elysees
saw the famous Christmas window displays in Galeries Layfayette
took in the incredible art at the Orsay museum.

Phewww...needless to say we were both pretty exhausted by the time we got home.  I walked away with an incredible confidence boost to have been able to lead someone around in a country that I now call home.  It seems as if this was a fairy pivotal point in my stay here, and one that I will remember for quite a while.

So, any takers for house guest number 2??






No comments:

Post a Comment