Friday, August 31, 2012

The Universal Language of Zumba®

It may sound silly but some of the most mundane activities can be incredibly intimidating in a foreign country.  Until now, most of my time and effort has gone towards unpacking and setting up a new house, in addition to ensuring two small kids are fed, clean, changed and happy.  Almost all of these things have taken place within the confines of our new home.  Although they are important, it also is a very safe place little interaction with the outside world is needed.  Sometimes too safe.

As things become more settled, I have to work on integrating into a new culture and starting a new life here.  Challenge number one?  Enroll in the gym down the street.  Although I postponed it a bit, I finally muster up the confidence to go in.  Cool - I start a monthly membership without too much confusion on my part (though I practiced on Jean beforehand).  I decide to try out a group class.  I thought I'd attempt to go under the radar by hanging out in the back so I take a place near the far wall.  As the instructor walks in, I find out that was actually the FRONT of the class.  Too late, can't make a dash for the back...it would be too obvious.  Then he blares the music and puts on his microphone.  Let the real French challenge begin!  It's really not too bad as I try and follow along as much as possible.  I'm actually surprised by how much I understand despite the music and the microphone cutting out every 5 seconds.  I mean squats are squats, whether or not you understand every word of instruction that comes along with them.  Then he starts talking to me directly in front of the class, obviously trying to correct something I am doing.  Let's see - French language coming from a crappy microphone, blaring hip-hop music and that deer in the headlight feeling that comes from being singled out by an exercise instructor in a class.  I try a couple totally random modifications until one must have done it.  Phew...crisis averted.

I feel great at the end of the class.  Partly because it was a decent work out but also because I ventured out of my safety zone and came away relatively unscathed.  Not a bad confidence booster.  I check out the schedule of classes and see there are many of them that take place in the pool.  Interesting concept.  One of the most popular ones?  Aquabiking.  Yes - a spinning class under water.  Don't believe me.  Check this out:


Also in the same category - aquastep and aquaboxing.  I kid you not.  Not sure I'm up for that much of an adventure so I stick to one of the classes on the list that I know best - Zumba.  I mean when you trademark a workout, you can pretty much guarantee it's the same no matter what continent you're on.  When I enter the Zumba class, I proudly march up to the front of the class (that I am now sure of) and do pretty much the same workout as I did last month and Mike's Fitness back in Boston.  Pretty cool.  Zumba - bridging cultures since 2001.

Oh, another interesting class on the schedule on Monday nights at 7:30pm...Cocktail Fitness Stretch.  Yes, I wrote that right.  I'm not totally certain what it's all about but I can't help but imagining people in "dressy" spandex outfits reaching across a table to grab an hors d'oeuvre.  I might have to check that one out just to report back.     

      

1 comment:

  1. That's frickin awesome! I need to aqua cycle so my crashes won't hurt. :) Well done!

    ReplyDelete